The Chalk Board
Please log on before you proceed


Sign up, chat or talk, this is your board.
 
HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Just an update

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Hey Guys, all of you know me so I won't introduce myself to you. But anyway, I'm essentially in charge of this board and will no doubt spend the duration of my time on ChalkBoard on here. If you have any game trailers you want people to have a look at, any games you want to borrow of someone, reviews to share or receive, or just want to chat, look no further.

Anyway, in the next week or so I should be getting firmware installed in my xbox to make 'games cheaper' so no doubt my collection of games will dramatically increase. For those of you out there that have looked at a a game and though 'Hmm, wonder if the gameplay is decent' or 'The graphics seem good, but how great is the sound?' then simply pop up a topic asking me to play it through. I'm limited to weekend play only but I'll check often and even if I only play through it a little bit, I'll let you know how I find it.

Keep on posting guys! Very Happy

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben
General Poster
avatar

Posts : 41
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 24
Location : Currans Hill

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:07 pm

That's a decent offer, but I'm willing to buy a game before I make graphics or gameplay an issue. I don't usually judge a game by either of those to mostly just the storyline (however there is a certain point that id prefer gameplay decent), but i usually like to find out myself and give my own opinion (not everyone thinks the same way about stuff).

_________________

FREAK OUT
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.torn.com/?r=196531
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Ben wrote:
That's a decent offer, but I'm willing to buy a game before I make graphics or gameplay an issue. I don't usually judge a game by either of those to mostly just the storyline (however there is a certain point that id prefer gameplay decent), but i usually like to find out myself and give my own opinion (not everyone thinks the same way about stuff).

So your more willing to pay $80-$100 on a game rather than reading a review first? You can't tell me that if people didn't hype over the games you bought, if television networks didn't play advertising, if your mates didn't say 'The new such-and-such is awesome' that you still would've bought them.

Gameplay is virtually storyline man, the two are linked very strongly.

And it won't be biased, just because I like shooters I won't say its awesome, and just because I don't like RPGs I'll say its bad. I'd being giving a general opinion on different aspects of the game from a generalized perspective, otherwise known as a review.

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben
General Poster
avatar

Posts : 41
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 24
Location : Currans Hill

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Well I'd prefer to pay $80-$100, mainly to support the people who made it (trust me if I didn't care my xbox would already be chipped/modded). But anyway I've never gone with a review (whether its online or someone else) mainly because not everyone has a right or wrong answer but mainly because the reviews that can be found usally holds alot of spoilers and I never try to hype over a game cause it may not turn out so good after all (eg I was hyped to play fable 3 when it came out but i wasn't impressed with the ending which was actually talked about the most in reviews and interviews), I've never really depended on what the gameplay is like, because if I'm stuck into the game too much I'll start to turn the other way (eg Dead Rising was boring and too repetitive but I still played it for what actually goes on in the game, and I'm like you Í don't judge a game on what I prefer.

But in all I usually like to find stuff out for myself whether its graphics, gameplay, or the storyline.

_________________

FREAK OUT
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.torn.com/?r=196531
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Ben wrote:
Well I'd prefer to pay $80-$100, mainly to support the people who made it (trust me if I didn't care my xbox would already be chipped/modded). But anyway I've never gone with a review (whether its online or someone else) mainly because not everyone has a right or wrong answer but mainly because the reviews that can be found usally holds alot of spoilers and I never try to hype over a game cause it may not turn out so good after all (eg I was hyped to play fable 3 when it came out but i wasn't impressed with the ending which was actually talked about the most in reviews and interviews), I've never really depended on what the gameplay is like, because if I'm stuck into the game too much I'll start to turn the other way (eg Dead Rising was boring and too repetitive but I still played it for what actually goes on in the game, and I'm like you Í don't judge a game on what I prefer.

But in all I usually like to find stuff out for myself whether its graphics, gameplay, or the storyline.

Its your money so spend it how you want. I'd prefer a more practical use. You use the excuse to support the people who made it, but what about the pirated music you download, or even the pirated movies you watch? What about the people who made them, don't they need support too? You can't say that you don't pirate games because it will damage the companies that make them, but then continue on burning music and movies whilst not caring about supporting them. You may not directly have read a review and thought of purchased the game, but like I said, you can't tell me that even one game you've bought hasn't been influenced other than the fact that the name sounds good? And reviews that give out spoilers aren't good reviews at all man, Game Informer reviews tonnes of games and not once have they spoiled anything. You might not depend on the gameplay, but in some aspects you have to. You might not depend on it, but you have to at least consider it. Its the icing on the cake.

Your more than welcome to find out for yourself how the game is, but what I'm saying to you is that instead of buying a game and wasting $80 or more on it to only find out that it definitely wasn't what you thought it would be you can simply ask for an opinion on the game, or on specifics (eg gameplay, concept, graphics, sound, etc).

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Judging by your non-response, should I say checkmate?

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben
General Poster
avatar

Posts : 41
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 24
Location : Currans Hill

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:39 pm

I say more like stalemate since were gonna argue about the same stuff every time we reply.

_________________

FREAK OUT
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.torn.com/?r=196531
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Ben wrote:
I say more like stalemate since were gonna argue about the same stuff every time we reply.

Its stalemate when you reply with a decent response to my comment up there dude.

/ \
|
|
|
|
|

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben
General Poster
avatar

Posts : 41
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 24
Location : Currans Hill

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:48 pm

But if I do reply it will be the same stuff I said before then when you reply back its going to say the same thing then what your last post said

So instead of letting a never ending argument continue (since we both have different views about everything) I say we leave it where it is and call it a stalemate.

_________________

FREAK OUT
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.torn.com/?r=196531
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Ben wrote:
But if I do reply it will be the same stuff I said before then when you reply back its going to say the same thing then what your last post said

So instead of letting a never ending argument continue (since we both have different views about everything) I say we leave it where it is and call it a stalemate.

No, no. See when you first posted, I countered that. Then you countered my post, and again I countered yours. I countered all of your points so unless you can do so again, or bring up a new one, its checkmate.

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben
General Poster
avatar

Posts : 41
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 24
Location : Currans Hill

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Alright fine

Even though yeah I do pirate music and movies, the reason why is because you cant always find a movie or song you want in stores (so it makes it hard to find), and its even harder to find certain music or movies when their old and not as common. Even though I can buy these online its hard to do so when you don't have the means to do so (credit card), so the only way to go is to illegally download it since it can be found every where. Even though this maybe the case with some xbox games I'm not really in dire need to play them. I'm also aware of all the illegal games I had on my laptop, but its hard to buy a game when its been discontinued over 10-15 years ago, but even though I've got free games on my laptop, I also bought the same game over Xbox Live when they came out even though I already had a free version of it (All sonic games out atm, perfect dark, banjo-kazooie, gunstar heroes).

I admit that I've bought a game before just cause it had a good name, for example I thought Mass Effect was a pretty good name for a game and so I bought it. After playing it I really enjoyed it and decided to buy ME2 to find out what happens in the game, and same goes for ME3 when that comes out. But also there has been times where I've said that a game may be shit just from the name, but when I eventually played it I really did enjoy it, for example Viva Pinata, when I heard about that game I thought it would be a childish game for 5- 9 year olds, but when it came with my first xbox I thought I might give it a go, turns out I actually did enjoy playing it in the end I eventually bought the second game since it was much more of an improvement on the first. With Halo, because it was the only game we had on the original xbox, it was all that I played and the more I played it the more I enjoy it so eventually I bought all the Halo games for the sake of it being Halo no matter how much hype it gets.

As for reviews I've only ever read them after I've bought that game so they've never influenced my decision in buy a game or not. Also I've never been disappointed about buying a game after I've bought it before and if I ever did I wouldn't let it get to me (after all I've still got achievements to unlock). Also I've Never bought a game just for achievements (although borrowing is a different story). I do know that game informer has got good reviews in it but chances are I'd probably only read the ones on the games I've already decided to get just to find out whats new (eg Skyrim, Dragon Age 2)

lastly as I said before I don't rely mainly on gameplay but I do agree it is the icing on the cake because I'd rather play a game with a simple style of play then a complex hard to learn style.

_________________

FREAK OUT
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.torn.com/?r=196531
Dylan
1st Class n00b
avatar

Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 24
Location : CT

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:06 pm

i like trains....

Combo breaker?

in all seriousness though,

I buy all my games (Preferably tin case editions) due to the fact that i just like the feeling of owning the game and all that comes with it rather then a digital copy which only gives the game.

too all his own i guess Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RacePurist01
1st Class n00b
avatar

Posts : 8
Join date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:25 pm

Damn it Dylan, I was gonna quote the asdf movies!!!!

Nonetheless, I shall act as if you didn't...

I BAKED YOU A PIE! WHAT FLAVOUR!? PIE FLAVOUR!!!

_________________
Aaron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:29 pm

Ben wrote:
Alright fine

Even though yeah I do pirate music and movies, the reason why is because you cant always find a movie or song you want in stores (so it makes it hard to find), and its even harder to find certain music or movies when their old and not as common. Even though I can buy these online its hard to do so when you don't have the means to do so (credit card), so the only way to go is to illegally download it since it can be found every where. Even though this maybe the case with some xbox games I'm not really in dire need to play them. I'm also aware of all the illegal games I had on my laptop, but its hard to buy a game when its been discontinued over 10-15 years ago, but even though I've got free games on my laptop, I also bought the same game over Xbox Live when they came out even though I already had a free version of it (All sonic games out atm, perfect dark, banjo-kazooie, gunstar heroes).

I admit that I've bought a game before just cause it had a good name, for example I thought Mass Effect was a pretty good name for a game and so I bought it. After playing it I really enjoyed it and decided to buy ME2 to find out what happens in the game, and same goes for ME3 when that comes out. But also there has been times where I've said that a game may be shit just from the name, but when I eventually played it I really did enjoy it, for example Viva Pinata, when I heard about that game I thought it would be a childish game for 5- 9 year olds, but when it came with my first xbox I thought I might give it a go, turns out I actually did enjoy playing it in the end I eventually bought the second game since it was much more of an improvement on the first. With Halo, because it was the only game we had on the original xbox, it was all that I played and the more I played it the more I enjoy it so eventually I bought all the Halo games for the sake of it being Halo no matter how much hype it gets.

As for reviews I've only ever read them after I've bought that game so they've never influenced my decision in buy a game or not. Also I've never been disappointed about buying a game after I've bought it before and if I ever did I wouldn't let it get to me (after all I've still got achievements to unlock). Also I've Never bought a game just for achievements (although borrowing is a different story). I do know that game informer has got good reviews in it but chances are I'd probably only read the ones on the games I've already decided to get just to find out whats new (eg Skyrim, Dragon Age 2)

lastly as I said before I don't rely mainly on gameplay but I do agree it is the icing on the cake because I'd rather play a game with a simple style of play then a complex hard to learn style.

Two things, if you buy a game just because it has a good name your an idiot. When I asked if you buy a game just because it has a good name I was being sarcastic. I meant that the game has gotten good rep, whether it be from a review or from mates. Like I said, you can't truthfully say another person's opinion has never influenced your decision on buying a game or not. I think that nearly every single one of my games, has been influenced either directly or indirectly in some way. I bought Halo 3 because Daniel, Aaron, Marvin and I played Halo 1 and 2 multiplayer and loved it, a review in a way. I bought Bioshock because Aaron raved about the storyline and gameplay constantly. Even when I was younger and my older brother played the Genesis, that influenced me. I wouldn't play any Sonic games on XBLA right now if it wasn't for that. That also in a way is a review.

Now with your example of Skyrim and Dragon Age II you might think, no, I've always wanted to buy them regardless if someone said they were good or not. Why is that? That didn't just magically spawn. No, you obviously played Oblivion and Dragon Age and loved certain aspects about it and longed for more. Thats not a review, you say, I'm only buying Skyrim because I liked its predecessor. Tell me, how did you come to like Oblivion so much? If you owned the prequel to that, think about what made you consider to play the game. And it might have just been a random buy that was on sale, and thats fair enough, we've all done that. But what I'm saying is consider every single game you've bought, and you can't honestly tell me that it has either directly or indirectly been influenced by a review of sorts.


And Dylan, scroll up, me and Ben are just having a rant Razz. Read the first post and you'll see what I intended this to be about Smile.

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:44 pm

Dylan wrote:
i like trains....

Combo breaker?

in all seriousness though,

I buy all my games (Preferably tin case editions) due to the fact that i just like the feeling of owning the game and all that comes with it rather then a digital copy which only gives the game.

too all his own i guess Smile

I agree with you man, when COD: MW3 comes out I'll no doubt buy the actual game, and if the goodies are decent I'll preorder a pack. And if I do want the hard copy of a game, I will buy it. But I've got limited money bro, I don't have a job and I don't get pocket money. So by the time I've bought three games I'm virtually done. Its hard to preorder $120 packs of games or sometimes even more than that everytime they come out. And some of you out there might be in the same situation, so before you going spending money like your Ben Porter, just ask if its any decent. Wait shouldn't be too long before I review and voila, all is well Smile.

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
James
Admin
avatar

Posts : 84
Join date : 2011-02-22
Age : 23
Location : Campbelltown, NSW

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Too long, did not read.

And what are you talking bout ben, u had your origional xbox chipped and has HEAPS of games stored on it.

So a hand full of people have their xbox's like that, so microsoft, or the producer will only make millions from games, regardless. People have been doing this for ages. So they will only make say 1.2 million instead of 1.2001 million, oh no!

_________________
Queen is admin, Problem?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thechalkboard.forumotion.com
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:53 pm

James wrote:
Too long, did not read.

And what are you talking bout ben, u had your origional xbox chipped and has HEAPS of games stored on it.

So a hand full of people have their xbox's like that, so microsoft, or the producer will only make millions from games, regardless. People have been doing this for ages. So they will only make say 1.2 million instead of 1.2001 million, oh no!


Thank you James, somebody finally fucking gets this. And tl;dr im chipping my xbox and will review games if people want, you have yours chipped so you dont need to Very Happy

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
James
Admin
avatar

Posts : 84
Join date : 2011-02-22
Age : 23
Location : Campbelltown, NSW

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm

I totally agree with Birdboy.

I have a job, and yet i cant afford to go out and pre order or buy EVERY single game new, it should be easyer for me since i work almost all the time im not at school, but sometimes its a tad ridiculous. I'm all for supporting the producers. Thats why when i think a game will be decent enough il buy it, like i did with Black Ops and Red Dead Undead Nightmare.

Sometimes....just sometimes, they ask a lil too much..

_________________
Queen is admin, Problem?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thechalkboard.forumotion.com
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:03 pm

James wrote:
I totally agree with Birdboy.

I have a job, and yet i cant afford to go out and pre order or buy EVERY single game new, it should be easyer for me since i work almost all the time im not at school, but sometimes its a tad ridiculous. I'm all for supporting the producers. Thats why when i think a game will be decent enough il buy it, like i did with Black Ops and Red Dead Undead Nightmare.

Sometimes....just sometimes, they ask a lil too much..

Jaydon Bird likes this status.

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marvin O.O
n00b
avatar

Posts : 26
Join date : 2011-02-23
Location : Classified

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:17 pm

it still feels good to own a hard copy of a game though just saiyan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Marvin O.O wrote:
it still feels good to own a hard copy of a game though just saiyan

Still feels good to use that $80 on something else rather than to keeping buying different games, just saying.

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
James
Admin
avatar

Posts : 84
Join date : 2011-02-22
Age : 23
Location : Campbelltown, NSW

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:28 am

Marvin O.O wrote:
it still feels good to own a hard copy of a game though just saiyan
Feels good to slap prosties in GTA, doesnt mean i do it real life.

_________________
Queen is admin, Problem?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thechalkboard.forumotion.com
Marvin O.O
n00b
avatar

Posts : 26
Join date : 2011-02-23
Location : Classified

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:03 am

Birdboy wrote:
Marvin O.O wrote:
it still feels good to own a hard copy of a game though just saiyan

Still feels good to use that $80 on something else rather than to keeping buying different games, just saying.

yes but theres nothing else to buy with $80 but games
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdboy
1st Grade Poster
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Marvin O.O wrote:
Birdboy wrote:
Marvin O.O wrote:
it still feels good to own a hard copy of a game though just saiyan

Still feels good to use that $80 on something else rather than to keeping buying different games, just saying.

yes but theres nothing else to buy with $80 but games

Yeah you gon on believing that then...

_________________
OOOO MATE OOOOOOOOO - Mr Hossain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
James
Admin
avatar

Posts : 84
Join date : 2011-02-22
Age : 23
Location : Campbelltown, NSW

PostSubject: Re: Just an update   Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Im with jay,

Back on topic tho, if anyone wants to take up jays offer, just ask.

_________________
Queen is admin, Problem?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thechalkboard.forumotion.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Just an update   

Back to top Go down
 
Just an update
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Laura's engagement ring - Update
» Player likeness lawsuit update
» Manual update
» "Game Update Available"
» Beware of new George Clooney website - UPDATE!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Chalk Board :: Video Games-
Jump to: